Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday April 23, 2012: Dawn in the Dunes


I woke up at 4:00 AM and could not go back to sleep because my body believed it was some other time of day.  I went outside and saw a shooting star.  A group of jackals out on the desert floor were yipping and howling to another group of jackals patrolling the river bed.


The Namib is a fog desert.  What could be better than a pre-dawn walk in the foggy dunes?  First I crossed the wide, sandy dry bed of the Kiuseb river.  African birds were twittering unfamiliar songs in the trees.  I climbed the dunes on the south side of the river in the dim light.  





Lots of little animals (jackals, foxes, rodents, beetles) had been running all over the dunes, leaving tracks in the sand.  The sun rose and burned off the fog.  It was sublime.


No comments:

Post a Comment